Thursday 23 May 2013

This Week's Wish List

I went to Clerkenwell Design on Wednesday, mainly because I wanted to look at some fabric that Rose de Borman has designed, which was covering the walls of Virginia White's stand in the Order of St. John:

Forest by Rose de Borman

Close up of Spring Forest (it comes in two colourways, Autumn being the other one.)

Obviously I love the fabric.  Love the fabric.  And I'm now wondering what I can cover in it - I'd quite like to reupholster our sofa, but it might be a bit extreme to commission new covers just because I'm hopelessly besotted with (yet another) fabric.  And anyway, via Virginia White, I discovered Mystery Lampshades, by Alexander Hamilton for Virginia White:


A depressing view of Scotland that only shows when the lamp is on.  Amazing!  It reminds me of my Grandfather's place mats.  I have a kind of love-hate relationship with Scotland. I went to university there and loved it. And then, before my husband was my husband he was living in Edinburgh and I was in London so Scotland became this place I had to go to for miserably cold weekends and then depart again, leaving my not then husband behind.  (And I blamed Edinburgh for our separation.  I find it helps when irritated to entirely wave goodbye to logic.) But now every time I go there I remember that I love it.  Mostly. And I love the lampshade.  It is making me want to crack the spine of one of Scott's novels, before attempting to construct a haggis and whisky soup (we had it at a wedding recently, literally one of the most delicious things I've tasted in ages.)

And Alexander Hamilton, it transpires, does a lot of decorative painting:

Linen Bed Hangings

A bathroom in the Palazzo Budini Gattai, Florence

Bolza Family Chapel in the courtyard of the Castello di Reschio on the Tuscan-Umbrian border

Some of these jobs were restorative as much as anything else, all I know is that I just don't understand why I didn't inherit a palazzo somewhere - anywhere - in Italy, where the houses, even in states of disrepair, are always less depressing than those in Scotland, simply because it's a warmer climate. And I really want to live in a house with a chapel.  But I've wanted that ever since I read Brideshead Revisited, so it's not exactly new.  

In the mean time, both the lampshade and that fabric are taking up residence on my slightly more attainable wishlist.


www.virginiawhite.co.uk